|Oldbury / Smethwick|
Oldbury is a town in the West Midlands in England. It is a part of the Black Country and the administrative centre of the borough of Sandwell.
Oldbury was part of the ancient parish of Halesowen, a detached part of Shropshire (surrounded by Worcestershire and Staffordshire) until Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844, when it was incorporated into Worcestershire.
In 1966, Oldbury (which had become a municipal borough in 1934) merged with the County Borough of Smethwick and the Municipal Borough of Rowley Regis to form the County Borough of Warley, also taking in part of Tipton and a tiny fragment of Dudley. The county boundaries were also changed to include the whole of Warley as part of Staffordshire.
In 1974, Oldbury became part of the new Sandwell Metropolitan Borough (a merger between the county boroughs of West Bromwich and Warley) and is now in the West Midlands Metropolitan County. Sandwell's headquarters are situated in Oldbury Town Centre.
Oldbury comes within the B68 and B69 postal districts, the latter of which also covers part of Tipton.