Sutton Coldfield is a town within the City of Birmingham metropolitan borough, West Midlands, England. Sutton (as it is often called) is located about 13 km (8 miles) from central Birmingham, in the north east of the city, and has a population of about 105,452. Until the Local Government Act 1972 came into force in 1974 Sutton Coldfield was a municipal borough in its own right and part of Warwickshire, enjoying the title of "Royal Town".
In 1528, a charter of King Henry VIII gave the town the right to be known for ever as "The Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield" and to be governed by a warden and society. The charter was secured by Bishop John Vesey. This unreformed corporation survived until 1885, when it was replaced by a municipal borough. Although the title "Royal Town" was still used, the municipality created in 1885 was not itself a Royal Borough. The town and borough were ceremonially part of Warwickshire until 1974. The formal Mayoral chains of office are now on display in Birmingham Council House.