West Bromwich is a town in the English county of the West Midlands, five miles north west of Birmingham lying on the A41 London to Holyhead trunk road. It is part of the Black Country. West Bromwich is the largest town within the borough of Sandwell with a population of 134,065 (2005). The motto on the town's coat of arms proclaims in Latin "Labor Omnia Vincit" which translates as "Work Conquers All".
West Bromwich was first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, the name meaning "the little village on the heath of broom" (broom being a particular type of bush). A Benedictine priory existed in West Bromwich from the 12th century around which much of the town grew. In 1727 the town became a stop on the coaching road between London and Shrewsbury and its growth began. In the 19th century coal deposits were discovered, ensuring that the town grew rapidly as an industrial centre, with industries such as spring, gun and nail making developing.
In 1888 West Bromwich became a county borough, incorporating the village of Great Barr. It was expanded in 1966 to include most of the borough of Tipton and Wednesbury urban district, before joining with the neighbouring county borough of Warley in 1974 to form the Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell.
Charlemont Hall built c.1755 stood on the west side of the present Charlemont Crescent, in the Charlemont and Grove Vale neighborhood of the town. Charlemont Hall was described c. 1800 as 'a lofty neat-looking house of brick, faced with stone, with iron palisades etc. in front'. An east wing was added in 1855. The last occupants were Thomas Jones, town clerk of Wednesbury 1897-1921, and his widow.The house was demolished in 1948, and is now covered by a number of smaller detached homes